Get the Idea
- Essentials in Visual Communication, Bo Bergström, Lawrence King, London, 2008.
This clearly written and extensive book is a great introduction to some of the ideas in this chapter.
- Designing for the Greater Good: The Best in Cause-Related Marketing and Nonprofit Design, Peleg Top & Jonathan Cleveland, Harper Collins, New York, 2010.
24 case studies and many illustrations showing what does and doesn’t work in design for notforprofits.
- The Inspiration Room
A website with a range of different creative and mainly mainstream ways of communicating. The pages organising adverts by brand, including Amnesty International and Greenpeace, are particularly helpful.
- Ads of the World
Archives a huge amount of campaign material created by advertising agencies and arranges them by country, media type and industry. It has a section for ‘public interest’ advertising; the material is mostly mainstream.
- Social Design Notes
Is John Emerson's excellent blog about the use of visual communication in activism and is packed with examples and analysis.
Collects the best examples of marketing for social causes. A great place to find inspiring and slick notforprofit campaigns.
Get the Picture
- The Visual Display of Quantitative Information, Edward Tufte, Graphic Press, Cheshire, Connecticut, 2001.
Tufte, the 'godfather' of information design, offers a strong and sensible approach to presenting information.
- Winning the Story Wars, Jonah Sachs, Harvard Business Review Press, Boston, 2012.
The founder of Free Range Studios lays out different approaches to storytelling.
- A Handbook of Rhetorical Devices
Provides more than 60 rhetorical devices to improve the effectiveness and clarity of your writing.
- The Data Flow series of books, Gestalten, Berlin, 2008-2010.
Data visualisations, curated and explained and interviews with their creators.
- Information Aesthetics
A thoughtful selection of interesting data visualisations.
Most infographics on the internet end up here.
Get the Detail
- Jakob Nielson's "Use-it"/ Alertbox Blog
Provides guidance and tips on usability.
- Designing Interfaces: Patterns for Effective Interaction Design, 2nd edition, Jennifer Tidwell, O'Reilly Media, 2010.
Great examples and illustrations show patterns and best practices for user interaction.
- Big Data Now, 2012 edition, O'Reilly Media.
An introduction to the concepts and definitions of big data, its applications and possible evolution.